The Judaic Studies minor requires 18 units, including 9 upper division units. No courses used for the JUS minor may be used for any other major or minor. Up to two courses (6 credits) used to fulfill Tier Two requirements can be used for the JUS minor. Select your minor in consultation with your major advisor. In addition, you may consult the Judaic Studies Undergraduate Advisor.
JUS 301 Jewish Civilization: A Gateway Course. This introductory course is required for all JUS minors in catalogue year 2010-11 and later. It is recommended for all JUS minors enrolled prior to catalogue year 2010-2011.
Upper division elective coursework. The JUS major requires a minimum of 9 upper division credits.
Choose from the following programs:
- Traditional Program - JUS 301; Hebrew (Select 2 courses from JUS 203A, 203B, 303A, 303B, 409A, 409B and 453); Judaica Theme (Select 2-3 courses from JUS 310, 321, 322, 325, 329, 332, 335, 348, 370A, 370B, 372A, 372B, 374, 376, 377, 382, 387, 389, 435, 438, 440, 447, 452, 454, 456, 495G, 496H and 496W).
- Hebrew Program - JUS 301; Hebrew (Select 3-4 courses from JUS 203A, 203B, 303A, 303B, 409A, 409B and 453); Judaica Theme (Select one course from JUS 310, 321, 322, 325, 329, 332, 335, 348, 370A, 370B, 372A, 372B, 374, 376, 377, 382, 387, 389, 435, 438, 440, 447, 452, 454, 456, 495G, 496H and 496W).
- Judaica Program - JUS 301
- History Theme (Select 2 courses from JUS 329, 370A, 370B, 374, 377, 387, 447 and 452), JUS 495G and 496H may be included, if topic is relevant to the History theme.
- Language and Literature Theme (Select 1 course from JUS 335, 348, 376, 438 and 496W), JUS 495G and 496H may be included, if topic is relevant to the Language and Literature theme.
- Religion and Culture Theme (Select 2 courses from JUS 310, 321, 322, 325, 332, 372A, 372B, 382, 389, 435, 440 and 456), JUS 495G and 496H may be included, if topic is relevant to the Religion and Culture theme.
Internship, Practicum, and Independent Study Courses are available with approval of Undergraduate Advisor and, for Independent Studies, Faculty Sponsor. Select from JUS 393, 394, 399, 399H, 499 and 499H.
Complete any remaining credits from Judaic Studies offerings listed above. Any changes to the distribution requirements listed above require the prior approval of Undergraduate Advisor.
General Education Requirements
General Education: Tier One - Students may elect to take Trad 104 (Jewish Thought and Culture) in order to lay the foundation for their JUS education. Tier One courses cannot be counted toward the JUS minor.
General Education: Tier Two - Up to 6 credits of Tier Two coursework can be used to fulfill both General Education requirements and JUS minor requirements. JUS offers five Humanities courses, JUS 301, 325, 372A, 372B and 376. JUS offers two Individuals and Societies courses, JUS 370A and 370B.
Diversity Emphasis - JUS minors may use JUS 325, 370A, 370B, 372A, 372B or JUS 376 to fulfill their requirement for Diversity Emphasis Courses: Gender, Race, Class, Ethnicity, Sexual Orientation or Non-Western Area Studies.