Students must submit a proposal that briefly describes the project, the estimated hours to be spent on the project and the estimated Advisor/Student contact hours per week. Note: The University and Board of Regents have set a standard of 45 hours of course work for each unit of credit awarded.
INDEPENDENT STUDY GUIDLINES
- Determination of credit: The University and Board of Regents require a minimum of 45 hours of course work for each unit of credit awarded.
- The number of credits of Internship must lie within the approved credit range listed in the catalog course description.
- The registration fee for Internship credit is calculated at the same rate as for other credit courses.
- The student should have a specific proposal in mind when requesting an Internship.
- The content of an Internship course must not significantly duplicate material offered in a regularly scheduled course in the department in the current semester, except with the College Dean’s approval.
- The last day to register for an Internship without incurring a late charge is:
- Fall and Spring Semesters: 21st calendar day after the first day of classes (last day to increase units without a $250 late charge).
- Winter and Summer Sessions: Last day to drop with deletion from the record (last day to increase units without a $50 late charge).
- In the case that a grade of Incomplete is awarded in an Internship course, and the Internship Supervisor is no longer available, another Internship Supervisor must be identified who agrees to evaluate the student’s work.